Saturday, May 01, 2010

Emily D at the NY Botanical Garden

Emily Dickinson's Garden

I missed the advanced announcement for this show - it looks like the poetry marathon is currently underway. And damn, they are doing THE BELLE OF AMHERST this weekend and me with back to back rehearsals.

At least I'll make the final weekend:
Death, Bees, and Roses

June 12, 10 a.m.–6 p.m.

Perennial Garden

Participate in a thematic reading of Emily Dickinson’s poems. Select some of your favorite Dickinson poems relating to death, bees, or roses and join in celebrating the life and works of this great American poet.

Well THAT should be a pretty easy task - find a Dickinson poem relating to BEES - as I've observed several times on this blog, the woman was an apimaniac!


more about the show

Co-presented with The Poetry Society of America

Friday, April 30–Sunday, June 13, 2010
Discover the gardener who became the poet.

Experience the life and works of one of America’s most treasured poets as never before.

* Her Garden: Tour her Victorian Homestead re-created in the Enid A. Haupt Conservatory with tulips, lilacs, lilies, and more.

* Her Poetry: Stroll along garden paths and read some of Dickinson’s most famous works near the flowers that inspired them.

* Her Life: Be immersed in an interactive perspective through photographs, watercolors and books in a Gallery exhibition.

Special Celebrations

Enjoy poetry readings, live theater, gardening demonstrations, and more.

Kickoff weekend: April 30–May 2
Mother's Day weekend: May 8–9
Ballet and Poetry Weekend: May 15–16
My Emily Dickinson Poetry Series: May 11, 22; June 5, 12
Final weekend: June 12–13



THE murmur of a bee
A witchcraft yieldeth me.
If any ask me why,
'Twere easier to die
Than tell.

The red upon the hill
Taketh away my will;
If anybody sneer,
Take care, for God is here,
That's all.

The breaking of the day
Addeth to my degree;
If any ask me how,
Artist, who drew me so,
Must tell!