Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I get emails

roundup of today's most interesting emails:

A former member of NYCPlaywrights writes:

I'm happy that I'm still on the mailing list and have wanted to get back involved with the group...

Now I had thought this person dropped out because she found the post-reading feedback sessions were not as "constructive" as she might like. This woman has a nice facility with words, but she was too in love with the ambiguous scenario she had constructed in her 3-hour-long play to turn it into a coherent narrative. Her attitude was that if you didn't know what the hell was going on in her play, too bad for you, it was obviously a sign you are an idiot. No, I don't think I'll allow her back in - especially since I guess she just didn't want to pay the membership fee, and figures it's a good time to come back now that membership is free.

The Dramatists Guild writes:

The Public Theater in partnership with Amnesty International will hold a peaceful demonstration at the Permanent Mission of the Republic of Belarus to the United Nations [136 E. 67th Street].

New York area theatre artists are invited to show their support for the persecuted Belarus artists and activists. Those gathered will speak out against the arrests that followed the disputed elections in Belarus on December 19, 2010 that imprisoned the Belarus Free Theatre's own Company Manager, Artiom Zhelezniak. These artist have been beaten up and driven underground.

Text the word "PROTEST" to 27138 to receive updates about exact meeting location.


I would LOVE to go to this but it's too far uptown to make it during my lunch break - or rather, I could make it, but would pretty much have to head back right away. But anybody who cares about freedom and justice and art - go to this.

ALso I would love to do a protest at the United Nations because it takes me back to the no-nukes rally I went to with my ex-husband in 1978, when we all got arrested in Dag Hammarskjöld plaza.

Last and most weird... from an online dating site - mind you, I never contacted this 49-year-old guy, I just looked at his profile for two seconds:

hmmmmm?

very interesting

but I'm in an open marriage

does this work for you?

rich


Um no dude.

Well it looks like the NYCPlaywrights meeting won't be snowed out THIS week and that means one thing for me: cleaning.