Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Tina Fey's great New Yorker article

behind a paywall though - but here's the most scathing bit:

"...I know older men in comedy who can barely feed and clean themselves, and they still work. The women, though, they're all "crazy." I have a suspicion - and hear me out, because this is a rough one - that the definition of "crazy" in show business is a woman who keeps talking even after no one wants to fuck her anymore.

The only person I can think of who has escaped the "crazy" moniker is Betty White, which, obviously, is because people still want to have sex with her.

This is the infuriating thing that dawns on you one day: even if you would never sleep with or even flirt with anyone to get ahead, you are being sexually adjudicated.

Network executives really do say things like "I don't know. I don't want to fuck anybody on this show."

(To any exec who has ever said that about me, I would hope that you would at least have the self-awareness to know that the feeling is extremely mutual.)

It seems to me the fastest remedy for this "women are crazy" situation is for more women to become producers and hire diverse women of various ages.


The rest of the article is less scathing and more funny. Go and buy an issue, it's on the better newsstands now.

UPDATE: wheeeee! I posted this on Facebook and my Facebook friend Merrill Markoe "liked" it!

If you don't know who Merrill Markoe is - you damn well should. And I'm sure you know her work - she invented Stupid Pet Tricks for the David Letterman show.

And two actors who have worked for me, Nick Fondulis and Daniel Genalo were on an episode of 30 Rock. That means that Tina Fey's costars were my bitches!

Plus, I hugged David Hyde Pierce.

OK, that was three years ago. And to be fair, he didn't see it coming until it was too late. But still...