Thursday, May 26, 2011

let's all be big for a change

So I ended the deposition yesterday where Cecelia Young reveals that she married John A. Pfingstag. Our story continues...
I had known Pfingstag two or three years before our marriage. He was a barber and used to take meals at my house and also roomed there a couple of months. He roomed with me before my husband died and in fact was rooming at my house when my husband came home and made the row that I have mentioned. I also done all Mr. Pfingstag's sewing and mending for him. My husband was a very jealous man and he made soon a row when he come home that time that I had to break up house keeping on his account. I lived in marriage relations with Mr. Pfingstag three years after our marriage but had no children by him.
So it looks like Cecelia might finally be getting a break. Pfingstag seems much more stable than her husband - although granted that's not a high bar. But then....
Finally I got very sick and was expected to die. We were then living at 64 Springhurst St. Germantown, where he had a barbershop. While I was sick Father Henley of the St. Vincent de Paul Church came to see me and while he was there he asked me if Pfingstag did not have a living wife and I said that Pfingstag had told me his wife was dead when he married me so Father Henley asked him about it and he said his wife was yet living so Father Henley told me that I must leave Pfingstag as soon as I got up and I did so. When I was able to get out I went to Atlantic City and started a boarding house at 1612 Mississippi Ave., where I remained three years.
It's heart-breaking how things turned out - first her husband was a ne'er-do-well, and then her second husband was a rapscallion.
No sir, I never lived with Pfingstag again nor have I ever remarried or lived with any man since that separation. No sir, I never took any legal steps to have my marriage with Pfingstag set aside or declared null and void. No sir, I never saw Pfingstag's wife but I was told that her name was Annie or Mary Moore. She lived some place up country as I was told. All I know is what Pfingstag told me and he said she is married again.
At first I assumed this meant that after Cecelia and Pfingstag broke up, eventually Pfinstag's legal marriage also broke up and Ms. Moore got remarried. However...
He said they were never divorced but that he was regularly married to her at Pottstown where she was then living. He claimed to me that he never lived with her and that he was married to her while under the influence of liquor. They had no children. I cannot tell you anything about his people but I think he has a sister living in Chester, I think. I do not remember her name now. No sir, I never knew that Pfingstag had a living wife when we were married. I knew he had been married before but he told me his wife was dead and I believed him. He was never married but once before his marriage to me, as he told me. Pfingstag had been in the U.S. Navy a number of years after the war. No sir, he never got a pension to my knowledge.

Well, just because Pfingstag didn't drink as much as my great-great grandfather doesn't mean he never drank...