Monday, July 04, 2011

before the nature

I finally made it to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden this year!

But before the nature, I saw other interesting things on the way.

This guy was playing a kokyu at the Union Square subway station - he was playing "America the Beautiful."



The entrance to the Brooklyn Public Library is the most awesome thing ever.



It took me a minute to get the theme of the gold figures on the door - but as soon as I saw The Raven on the crest of the bust of Pallas I got it: American literature.



But to my surprise Google has not come up with a list of all the works represented... yet.

I recognized Bre'r Rabbit, Moby Dick, The Last of the Mohicans and Walt Whitman - the man himself - I presume representing "Song of Myself."



I got right up under it for a shot of the owls at the top. You can click this image to see the full-size version for all the details.



Here is a close-up of the owls.



Next post: nature.