Saturday, July 09, 2011

Ego boost/internalized narrative embarrassment of the week

I'm walking down the street in Astoria. 70-something Greek man walking slowly towards me stops and begins to say something.

ME

(Is he going to proposition me? Dear God how old do I look these days? Look Grampa, no-way no-how I don't care how old you think I am, I wouldn't get physical with you if you were the last guy on the planet. And just who the hell do you think you are? Don't you have a wife at home? And maybe if you people spent more time worrying about paying your taxes, and less on street hassling women young enough to be your daughter maybe Greece wouldn't be so financially screwed right now!)

OLD GREEK GUY

When I was young-a like you I walk as fast as you.

ME

OK!

(Walking faster to escape my own internal mortification.)