Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Pippi Longstocking of Iceland

Now I'm on an Iceland tear - because of Krugman pointing to Iceland as a global financial meltdown success story and also because Iceland consistently rates as one of the best places in the world to live for women.

And then I discovered this bizarre person, who appears to have a series of wacky video vignettes about Iceland. I like to call her the Pippi Longstocking of Iceland:


I already know an Icelandic expression - "Bless bless" which means good-bye. Sounds like they picked up some English up there.

This series is called "Surviving Iceland" and gives the address for the web site, but other than using the URL I'm not sure how these Pippi videos are connected to the web site - the videos aren't mentioned, as far as I can tell, on the web site.

The population of Iceland is only 320,000 (compared to say, 2.5 million people in Brooklyn NY) as Pippi alludes to in this video. Maybe that's why it's possible to have a listing of what appears to be every single bar in Iceland on one web page.