Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The nays have it

To be honest, I was pretty confident that the vote would go against changing the NYCPlaywrights no-fee policy, which is why I had no qualms about posting the poll. The no-change forces won by a handy 80%.

I suspected sentiment was against posting calls for submissions that charged a submission fee but I didn't really have empirical evidence. Now I do. So if anybody ever complains about the policy I can say in all honesty that most people like it.

I certainly like it. I believe it's an insult to ask playwrights to pay for someone to read their script - or not. The fact is that there is virtually no guarantee that your script will even be read, which means that the fee-submission scenario is ripe for abuse. And let's face it, if somebody can pull a scam, it's probable that somebody is pulling a scam.

What really impressed me was how many people were willing to go on the record in support of their opinion which I posted (by explicit permission) on the NYCPlaywrights web site. Not too shabby at all.