Saturday, April 09, 2016

You call that Sea Salt Caramel?

mislabeled product!
I gave up on waiting for the Gristedes across the street to restock their supply of Häagen-Dazs Sea-Salt Caramel Gelato. They ran out, probably thanks to me, and don't seem to have taken any notice for over a week now. Who knows if they'll ever restock.

So I finally had to buy another brand but I had to up-size since only Häagen-Dazs sells it in those little containers and I had to get an entire pint of Talenti. But I vowed to maintain some self-control with all that gelato in my freezer.

Of course as soon as I got home I had to try it. Talenti is supposed to be such a high-end fancy-schmancy product, I figured it must be even better than the Häagen-Dazs  although I couldn't imagine how.

Well.

Talenti screwed up! This isn't "Sea Salt Caramel" it's chocolate chip sea salt caramel. Oh sure, they call them "truffles" but if this was vanilla ice cream they'd be called what they are, which is chocolate freaking chips. Here are the ingredients online which include cocoa (processed with alkali). Have you no shame Talenti? And don't listen to this guy who thinks it's a great idea to put chocolate chips in. He is a fool.

Now obviously I'm still going to eat the entire pint. I had a tea cup's worth (OK two tea-cup's worth) and it is delicious. But it just isn't the same. I want my Sea Salt Caramel pure like the way Häagen-Dazs does it -  with no chocolate. And you can tell it's objectively better, it has 30 calories more per serving.

I call bullshit, Talenti.