Thursday, August 18, 2016

More Shakespeare in the park 2016

Well it looks like I completely missed the Public Theater's Shakespeare in the Park in spite of living a 10 minute walk from the Delacort Theater.

I did see another production of As You Like It by the Hip to Hip Theater Company - I've blogged about their work in 2014 and 2015. I generally like what they do with Shakespeare's plays. And in this production, their scene with Audrey and Touchstone was especially fun - it was broadly played which I assume H2H does because they present their work outdoors to people who may not necessarily have much acquaintance with Shakespeare. I think this works better with his lesser plays though - I thought their take on The Two Gentlemen of Verona was especially good - and this play in particular seems to show up on many people's list as the worst play by Shakespeare.

So I was a bit apprehensive about how their approach would work with one of his better plays - overall I'd say it worked pretty well.

So that's five Shakespeare plays in the park so far, not counting two more I play to see, Hamlet and another Midsummer Night's Dream.


Jacques and Rosalind

Audrey and Touchestone